Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Prague: A fill of European culture, March 11-14

Prague is located only a 3 hour trains ride from Leipzig, so we frequently visited the city when I lived in Germany. But after the German reunification I had been back only once and was disappointed about the huge tourist crowds and Disney World looks. This time I visited out of season. Crowds amassed only in front of the town hall astronomical clock to watch the dance of the apostles and at the old Jewish cemetery. The narrow streets away from main attractions were almost empty. And best of all was a late evening trip to the Hradschin, the old Prague castle. I could hardly believe that I had the gothic cathedral, the court yards and narrow alleyways all to myself and circled St. Vitus cathedral (construction commenced in the 14th century) a couple of times, gazing in awe at the tall gothic towers and flying buttresses. The gargoyles high above grinned just like in olden times.