Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Pemberton, July 10

During last week conditions were great in Pemberton and people reported big XC flights (including a repetition of Denis’ Pembi to Harrison Lake flight). We were lucky that the nice weather did hold for Saturday when we finally made it up there. As an added bonus, we also got to launch for the first time from Mackenzie upper launch since there was a wedding on the lower launch.

Pete had already left before I got up high, so I spent some time taking in the view and cruising around over Mt. Mackenzie. Amazing views of the snow-covered peaks and snowfields all around. After climbing to over 2600 meter I thought that despite being alone (well, not really alone, there were lots of other pilots around) I should make use of the altitude and set out along the ridge towards Owl Mt. I always thought it would be very cool to fly high along a chain of mountains, and it was (see picture). Didn’t want to push it too much, so I turned around when I got low at the end of the ridge. The big bowl on the way back was a bit of a concern, but I never dropped below launch height, so it wasn’t really a problem.


Looking up valley towards Meager Creek, Pemberton is outside the frame in the lower left corner, Owl Lakes on the right, Owl Peak just left of centre (from 2600 meters ASL, above Upper Mackenzie Launch)


Near launch there was lots of lift again and I flew out over the valley towards the airport. But man, was it hot! It had been nice and cool at 2600 m, but lower down temps was definitely summery. After a couple of tries I found the tube of my water container and in the excitement drank too much to stay much longer in the air. Nevertheless, another nice XC flight (my second) of 24 km and 2.5 hrs.