Thursday, May 31, 2012

Pemby - Spring Skiing!


This may be have been our latest spring skiing day ever! Our little tour up Mt Rohr on Sunday made up for my not super successful flying on Saturday (see below).



What an amazing view of never-ending snowy peaks along the Duffey Lake Road. Well worth the effort of slogging up for 4.5 hours. And conditions were very nice for a quick ski back down to the trees. Skiing in the trees was not that much fun, but the snow was soft enough to make it manageable.

The flying on Saturday was somewhat frustrating for me and a day to file under experience gathering. People who launched first scratched for a couple of hours below before getting up into a strongish NW wind. Hoping for the wind to mellow out later I decided to wait. But when I finally launched, my vario sound wasn’t working and I just couldn’t figure out how to make it beep again (where are those reading glasses when you need them, but more importantly I should have remembered to check before launching!). So I landed, drove back up, and got in the air again. I finally climbed above upper launch to find the wind was now even stronger NW, too much for me to go anywhere. So I floated around, waited if it would calm down to make top landing feasible, but after almost 3 hours I got bored and headed out to land. Oh well.