Tuesday, March 12, 2013

First Sping Thermals - March 10

Great flying on Saturday and lots of pilots out!

After an hour and a half I get bored of bumbling around launch and go crosscountry (although there is some excitement when a pilot loses control of his wing and lands in a tree). Cloudbase isn't that high, but I find a lifty line towards Agassiz Mt and from there across to Bear. There I climb to 1200 meter and head across the Fraser River towards Ludwig. Although I know that my chances of arriving high enough to climb out are slim, I have more than enough altitude to safely cross the river and land on a gravel bar next to Pete and Kevin. Great scenery, nice flight and first time for me to cross from Bear Mt (though next time I should stay a little more upwind on the crossing).

Landing with Pete on a Fraser gravel bar. Very left skyline is Bear Mt, where we came from.